- Register with the TPP to prescribe any medication on the TPP Medication List. Visit Information for Prescribers and Dispensers for further instructions.
- Medical residents must obtain approval from their program director prior to registering with the Triplicate Prescription program. Medical Resident Application form.
- Order TPP pads at TPPinfo@cpsa.ab.ca or phone 1-800-561-3899 ext. 4939. Use only TPP prescription forms to prescribe TPP medications and avoid disruption in patient care
- Instructions for completing the 3-part TPP prescription form. The prescriber retains the PRACTITIONER COPY (bottom). The top two parts of the form are used by the dispenser. The pharmacist or veterinary clinic retains the PHARMACY COPY and forwards the CPSA COPY to the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta.
Triplicate Prescription Form Security
Prescribers should ensure the security of their TPP forms to avoid misuse by individuals seeking to improperly obtain TPP medications.
- TPP forms are personalized and must not be shared. The prescriber‟s name, business address, and a unique prescriber identification number are imprinted on the pads. The unique prescriber identification number is NOT the prescriber’s registration or license number.
- When a prescriber retires, leaves practice, or leaves the province, unused TPP forms must be returned to the CPSA for proper destruction.
- Prescribers who have no fixed business address (e.g., locums) are issued special TPP forms that identify the prescriber‟s name and unique prescriber identification number. When issuing a TPP prescription, these prescribers must enter on the form the name of the medical clinic/hospital/professional for whom the prescriber is working, address and a contact number (telephone or pager).
- LOST OR STOLEN TPP forms must be immediately reported to police and the CPSA. The CPSA will require the following information:
- Date of loss or theft
- Serial number(s) of missing pad(s)
- Name of the last patient prescribed a TPP medication
- Police file number and investigating officer’s name and phone number
The College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta administers the TPP for all program participants. Click here for a full list and more about partners.
Physicians, pharmacists and other healthcare providers:
Contact Triplicate Prescription Program:
1-800-561-3899 ext. 4939 or
Patients: The College does not provide a list of physicians prescribing specific medications.
Ed Jess, Director
Prescribing & Analytics