Occasionally, members of the public contact the College or Alberta Health Services after experiencing or observing ‘unclean’ community medical offices.
What are the TOP 5 concerns?
- Lack of hand hygiene, including missing or inadequately stocked hand hygiene stations
- Poor cleaning & general sanitation (e.g., a dirty office environment)
- Inadequate cleaning & disinfection during examination room turnover
- Appearance of unclean non-critical medical instruments and devices (stethoscopes, blood pressure cuffs, etc.)
- Inappropriate use of household products (e.g., Lysol wipes for hand hygiene, dish detergent for instrument/device cleaning, etc.)
Infection Interventions is a series aimed at helping physicians identify best practices in infection prevention and control. If you have a question about this article or an idea for a future article, email Karen.Mazurek@cpsa.ab.ca.
What do you have to say on this topic? Leave a comment below