Optimized Prescribing with Seniors, featured in the College’s newsletter The Messenger, is a joint communication with the Alberta Medical Association (AMA). The articles are written by physicians for physicians prescribing in the care of older patients.
Optimized Prescribing with Seniors is for you! We need your questions and suggestions. Is there a particular issue you would like to see addressed? Do you see a scenario frequently present in your office and want to know an ideal, yet practical approach to management? Uncertain about the role of the “latest and greatest” new drug?
Ask us! Email your questions and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also participate by leaving comments and questions on each article as they are posted.
View the 2017 publication schedule here.
- Management of Chronic Non-cancer Pain in Older Adults (5/1/2017)
- Pharmacological treatment of urinary incontinence in the elderly (3/2/2017)
- Statins in the Elderly (1/11/2017)
- Antidepressant use in later life depression (10/21/2016)
- Hypertension in the elderly: Balance known benefits of treatment against the risks (8/31/2016)
- The DOACs: Look at individual patient characteristics (6/28/2016)
- “I can’t sleep”: Managing Insomnia in the older adult. (5/2/2016)
- Using Medication Reconciliation (MedRec) to optimize medications for seniors in the family physician’s clinic (3/3/2016)
- The association between medications and fall risk (1/8/2016)
- Polypharmacy: Appropriate and Problematic. (11/4/2015)
- The flu vaccine: Why its efficacy outweighs its risks (9/1/2015)
- Pharmacological factors and falls in the elderly (6/29/2015)
- Medication management: Recognizing anticholinergic effects (5/5/2015)
- Tackling GERD (common and atypical symptoms) in older patients (3/3/2015)
- HgA1c targets and use of agents for diabetes in older adults (1/7/2015)
- Medication reviews in long-term care and supportive living: a physician’s perspective (11/4/2014)
- Sedative hypnotics and risk for adverse events (9/8/2014)
- When to stop medications in the care of older patients (7/3/2014)
- What does the evidence say about the risks and benefits of the atypical antipsychotics in dementia? (4/30/2014)
- Introducing Optimized Prescribing with Seniors (OPS) (2/26/2014)