Apply for Postgraduate Training in Alberta

If you are interested in an Alberta residency, fellowship or elective program, you must obtain approval from one the following BEFORE the College can register you:

  • University of Alberta Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Office
    Phone: 1-780-492-9722 or email:
  • University of Calgary Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Office
    Phone: 1-403-210-7984 or email:

Please contact a university PGME office directly for information on available programs.

Once in a PGME program:

  1. The university will add your name to the postgraduate tracking system.
  2. You will receive an email entitled “Welcome to the Postgraduate Training Licence Tracking System”. Read this email carefully, as it provides important links and information about applying for registration.


Before you apply for Postgraduate Training registration:

  • Review our English Language Proficiency (ELP) requirements.
  • Have your medical degree verified through
  • Ensure you have a criminal record check or a police certificate from every jurisdiction you have ever lived (90+ days) within 10 years of your application or dating back to your 18th birthday. We do not need a vulnerable sector check, but will accept one if it is a part of your criminal record check.

If you need to change the start date and/or end date of your program, please contact the PGME office directly. The College cannot make any changes until notified by the university

FAQs about postgraduate training