If you are interested in an Alberta residency, fellowship or elective program, you must obtain approval from one the following BEFORE the College can register you:
- University of Alberta Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Office
Phone: 1-780-492-9722 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- University of Calgary Postgraduate Medical Education (PGME) Office
Phone: 1-403-210-7984 or email: email@example.com
Please contact a university PGME office directly for information on available programs.
Once in a PGME program:
- The university will add your name to the postgraduate tracking system.
- You will receive an email entitled “Welcome to the Postgraduate Training Licence Tracking System”. Read this email carefully, as it provides important links and information about applying for registration.
- If you obtained your medical degree or training outside Canada, you must provide evidence of English Language Proficiency AND have your medical credentials verified through physiciansapply.ca
- If you need to change the start date and/or end date of your program, please contact the PGME office directly. The College cannot make any changes until notified by the university
FAQs about postgraduate training
Please note that your username is no longer your tracking number. Please use the email address associated with your online tracking account.
You must obtain a Certificate of Professional Conduct / Certificate of Standing from all the jurisdictions in which you were registered and practising medicine. These documents do not come from a university.
Log in to the Postgraduate Tracking System to check which documents the College has received. Note that it takes approximately 2 business days for the document or information to appear on the tracking page after we receive it.
physiciansapply.ca has been developed to standardize and streamline the application process for medical registration in Canada. If you obtained any of your medical credentials outside Canada and your program starts on or after July 1, 2013, you will need to request source verification of those credentials through physiciansapply.ca.Click here for FAQ on physiciansappy.ca
Once the College receives all your documents and determines you are eligible for registration, you will get a confirmation email with your CPSA registration number. Your practice permit will also be sent via email.
If you were previously registered in Alberta for an elective, you do not have to reapply or pay the registration fee.What you need to do is:
- Contact the University to ensure they update the College with your new elective dates.
- Provide the College with a Certificate of Professional Conduct and two new references (if required). References are only valid for one year.