Election of three (3) members to the Council of the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta will take place on November 15, 2017. Newly elected councillors will begin their terms January 1, 2018.
Councillors whose terms expire on December 31, 2017, are:
- Doctors Graham Campbell (Calgary) and Tarek Motan (Edmonton) – both will have completed their first terms; eligible to re-run
- Maeve O’Beirne (Calgary) – will have completed her second term; ineligible to re-run
A regulated member on the General Register, the Provisional Register or the Limited Practice Register, (whether a physician, surgeon, osteopath or physician assistant) may stand for nomination, be a nominator and vote in an election only if:
- no fees, costs, fines, assessments, levies, or any other sums are owing by the member to the College;
- the member has a valid and current practice permit that is not currently suspended; and
- the member is in compliance with all orders or directions made pursuant to the Act.
Furthermore, a regulated member who:
- is currently subject to an undertaking, a condition imposed under section 55 or 65, or a direction under section 118 of the Act; or
- has been formally charged with unprofessional conduct that has not yet been determined by a Hearing Tribunal; or
- has been found guilty of unprofessional conduct within the preceding ten (10) years
is not eligible to be nominated for or elected as a member of Council.