You spoke: we listened
In April 2017, we asked how we could consult with you better. Of 350 individuals who responded to our survey, 345 were Alberta physicians. Based on your feedback, we are:
- reducing the number of consultations to review twice a year, with no more than three standards each time,
- introducing a survey option for feedback, and
- doing a better job of explaining the reasons for amending the standards.
Thank you for helping us improve.See the full survey results
The practice of medicine is self-regulated. That means our members play an important role in setting and meeting the CPSA Standards of Practice.
Physicians are invited to provide feedback during a 60-day consultation period before Council votes to approve new or amended standards or program rules. Government, the public and other interested parties are also asked for comment:
- University of Alberta and University of Calgary medical faculties
- Alberta Health Services
- Alberta Medical Association
- Alberta’s other regulated health professions
- Canadian medical regulatory authorities in other provinces and territories
- Canadian Medical Protective Association
- additional organizations, as applicable
All feedback is provided (non-nominally) to Council for consideration prior to approving the standards.
Our 5-Year Plan
To ensure the CPSA Standards of Practice are clear, concise and continue to meet physician and patient needs in a changing health care environment, the College has a 5-year plan to review and refresh the standards.
- College Council approves drafts of new and amended documents for consultation.
- Consultation is open for 60 days. Physicians and stakeholders are invited to participate through notices sent by email and in the College’s newsletter The Messenger.
- Feedback may be provided:
- Online: Contributors can use a web form to submit comments and have the option to request publication on the website. The College reviews all comments before publication to ensure there is no offensive language, personal attacks or unsubstantiated allegations.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta
2700 – 10020 100 Street NW
Edmonton, AB T5J 0N3 Canada
- Consultation feedback is collated and incorporated into the draft documents, and both are brought to Council for review.
- College Council considers the feedback and approves the draft documents, as presented or with revisions.
- Council approval is announced in The Messenger newsletter. New or amended documents generally take effect the following month, with updates posted on the College website and in The Messenger newsletter, and email notification to consultation participants.
- Direction and Control of a Medical Practice
- Sexual Boundary Violations
- Practice in Association
The following plan is flexible and subject to change.
Special Consultation: Standards of Practice Review Process
Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Medical Services Requiring Accreditation Outside of Hospitals (including Reprocessing of Medical Equipment)
Re-Entering Medical Practice or Changing Scope of Practice
|Consultation 012 October 12-December 12, 2016||Outcome|
|Job Action||Reissued April 2017|
|Prescribing: Administration (formerly Prescribing)||Reissued (name change only) April 1, 2017|
|Prescribing: Drugs with Potential for Misuse or Diversion||Issued April 1, 2017|
|Supervision of Restricted Activities||Ressued April 1, 2017|
|Consultation 011 April 6-June 7, 2016||Outcome|
|Completing Discharge Summaries||Rescinded Sept 2016|
|Referral Consultation (formerly the Referral Consultation process)||Reissued Jan 1, 2017|
|Transfer of Care||Reissued Oct 1 2016|
|Consultation 010 January 7 – March 7, 2016||Outcome|
|Medical Assistance in Dying||Issued June 2016|
|Conscientious Objection (formerly Moral or Religious Beliefs Affecting Medical Care)||Reissued June 2016|
|Informed Consent||Reissued June 2016|
|Assessing the Mental Capacity of a Patient||Rescinded June 2016|
|Consultation 009 July 14 – September 11, 2015||Outcome|
|Patient Record Content||Reissued Jan 2016|
|Patient Record Retention||Reissued Jan 2016|
|Prescribing||Reissued Mar 2016|
|Consultation 008 Mar 23 – May 21, 2015||Outcome|
|Advertising (formerly Advertising by Regulated Members)||Reissued Oct 2015|
|Conflict of Interest (formerly Conflict of Interest Involving Financial or Personal Gain by Physicians||Reissued Oct 2015|
|Human Health Research (formerly Health Human Research Ethics Review)||Reissued Oct 2015|
|Consultation 007 Nov 25, 2014 – Jan 23, 2015||Outcome|
|Continuity of Care (formerly After-Hours Access to Care and Preventing Follow-Up Care Failures||Reissued June 11, 2015|
|Episodic Care||Reissued June 11, 2015|
|Establishing the Physician-Patient Relationship (formerly Establishing… in Office-Based Settings)||Reissued June 11, 2015|
|Consultation 0006 Nov 26, 2013 – Jan 24, 2014||Outcome|
|Marihuana for Medical Purposes||Issued April 3, 2014|
|Telemedicine||Reissued June 5, 2014|
|CPSA Code of Conduct||Reissued June 5, 2014|
|Consultation 0005 Sept 15, 2013 – Nov 15, 2013||Outcome|
|Charging for Uninsured Professional Services||Reissued Sept 9, 2014|
|Relocating a Medical Practice||Issued Jan 9, 2014|
|Duty of Treating Physicians and Physicians Working in the Context of a Physician Health Program to Report a Physician to the College||Issued Jan 9, 2014|
|Terminating the Physician-Patient Relationship in Office-Settings||Reissued Jan 9, 2014|
|Closing or Leaving a Medical Practice||Reissued Jan 9, 2014|
|Alberta Methadone Maintenance Treatment Standards & Guidelines for Dependence||Reissued Jan 3, 2014|
|Consultation 0004 Nov 15, 2012 – May 15, 2012||Outcome|
|Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) Program Rules||Issued Sept 1, 2012|
|Health Human Research Ethics Review||Issued Sept 1, 2012|
|Consultation 0003 Sept 15, 2011 – Nov 15, 2011||Outcome|
|Physician Health Monitoring Program Rules||Issued December 2, 2011|
|Assessment and Competency Enhancement Program Rules||Issued December 2, 2011|
|Consultation 0002 Mar 15 – May 15, 2011||Outcome|
|Advertising by Regulated Members||Reissued July 1, 2011|
|Patient Records||Reissued July 1, 2011|
|Episodic Care||Issued July 1, 2011|
|Physician Prescribing Practices Program Rules and Terms of Reference||Issued Sept 9, 2011|
|Consultation 0001 Spring 2010||Outcome|
|Self-Reporting to the College||Reissued Sept 1, 2012|
|Duty to Report a Colleague||Reissued Sept 1, 2012|
|Physician Achievement Review (PAR) Program Rules||Reissued March 15, 2010|
Your feedback is welcome at any time
Providing feedback about proposed revisions to the CPSA Standards of Practice, Code of Conduct and program rules helps College Council strike the appropriate balance between serving patient needs and setting reasonable expectations for physicians.
To provide feedback outside the formal consultation period, please contact Chantelle Dick as indicated below.