Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) refers to a group of diverse medical and healthcare systems, practices, and products not currently considered as conventional medicine.
CAM therapies may include: (sample list only)
- Bioelectromagnetic Applications
- Diet/Nutrition/Lifestyle Changes
- Mind/Body Control
- Pharmacological and Biological Treatments
- Structural and Energetic Therapies
- Traditional and Ethnomedicine
While scientific evidence exists regarding some CAM therapies, for most there are unanswered questions, including whether these therapies are safe and/or effective.
Physicians who wish to provide complementary and alternative medicine to a patient must:
- Apply to the College for approval
- Provide evidence they have met the College’s requirements for training and standards of practice and are aware of any safety issues related to complementary and alternative medicine.
Current Approved Therapies
- Anti-Aging Medicine
- Bio-Energy Healing
- Bio-Identical Hormone Therapy
- Chelation Therapy
- Chinese Medicine
- Customized Nutritional Therapy
- Functional Medicine
- Herbal Therapy
- Integrative Medicine
- Longevity Medicine
- Low Intensity Laser Therapy for the Treatment of Musculoskeletal Disorders
- Nutritional Medicine
- Oral Chelation Therapy for Autism
- Primordial Sound Meditation
- Regenerative Medicine
- Thermography to Assess Chronic Pain
- Transcendental Meditation
Please refer to Approvals under Physician Search to locate physicians with these approvals
Note: Approval from the College does not mean the College endorses the complementary and alternative medicine. It simply means a physician has met the conditions outlined above.