Complaint FAQs

Click on tabs to alternate between public and physician FAQs:


You can tell your physician directly, or write him/her a letter. If you write a letter, please send a copy to the College. The letter will be added to the physician’s file.

Consider speaking directly to your physician about any problems or concerns. If your attempt to do so is refused or unsuccessful, contact a CPSA Patient Advocate (call 780-423-4764 or toll-free within Canada 1-800-661-4689). The Patient Advocate will explain the complaints process and how it applies to your situation.

For more information, refer to our Patient Advocate Brochure or visit the Complaints section of our website.

Complaints about a specific physician working in a walk-in clinic can be directed to the College’s Complaints Department. Complaints about office procedures or staff of a walk-in clinic may be directed to the physician responsible.

Complete both the Complaints Reporting Form and Release of Information Form. Print, sign and send these forms to the College.

If you have questions and/or require assistance completing the forms, contact a Patient Advocate at the College.

If you distribute copies of the complaint to others, that may be considered libel and may put you at risk legally.

Yes. The physician is given a copy of your written complaint.

No, but the sooner you file your complaint, the more effective the process will be.

No. If you are looking for financial compensation, you should obtain legal advice and consider a civil lawsuit.

The College’s Complaints Director will review your written complaint and decide how best to proceed based on options outlined in the Health Professions Act. More information is available on our website under Our Complaints Process.

  • The complaint may be dismissed if evidence does not support the complaint or there was insufficient evidence to proceed.
  • The matter may be resolved with consent. The complainant consents to the College working with the physician to make necessary practice changes.
  • The complaint may be referred to a formal hearing, which may result in discipline.

Reviewing a complaint can take several months or years, depending on the complexity of the complaint, length of investigation and availability of experts (if required).

Provide your physician with a written request asking for a copy of your medical records. Follow-up with your physician to ensure he/she received your request.

Note: Physicians may charge for this service.

Complaints must be received in writing before the College can take action. The College uses the same process to respond to all complaints.

Reviewing a complaint can take several months or years, depending on the complexity of the complaint, length of investigation and availability of experts (if required).

This is your decision. The Canadian Medical Protective Association can provide more advice and guidance on this matter.

In most cases, yes. The complainant will see your response unless you specifically indicate you do not want it shared. As the complaint is shared with the physician, the expectation is the response would be treated with similar transparency.

Most complaints are resolved without formal discipline. These complaints are a matter of record within the College, but are not made public except for those that lead to a disciplinary hearing. A certificate of professional conduct will reflect published disciplinary matters and open complaints (no details are included). Disciplinary action is published in The Messenger at Council’s discretion.


Complaints Line: 1-800-661-4689 (in Canada)*

*Email cannot be used to file a complaint. Please see File a Complaint.