Sleep Medicine Diagnostics
Good Medical Practice – It’s What We’re All About
ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
Sleep Medicine Diagnostic (SMD) accreditation standards ensure patient safety and quality of care in the full range of sleep medicine facilities. The College accredits three levels of sleep medicine facilities:
- Overnight Polysomnography in a Lab (Level I),
- Unattended Polysomnography in a Facility or Home (Level II)
- Home Obstructive Sleep Apnea Testing (Level III)
All levels administer diagnostic tests which are interpreted by CPSA members.
Upcoming Meeting Dates:
- Wednesday, April 17, 2019
- Friday, October 4, 2019
- Tuesday, December 3, 2019
Committee Sharepoint Sites:
Learn more about the Advisory Committee on Sleep Medicine Diagnostics
Register a new facility
For a physician to direct an SMD facility, provide or interpret tests in an SMD facility or give an order fora facility to do SMD tests, the facility must be assessed and accredited.
Start the process by telling us about your facility. Register for assessment.
Sleep Medicine Diagnostics Accreditation Program Guides
If you’ve already applied to start the accreditation process, we recommend reviewing the program guide for new and relocating facilities.
4-year Re-Assessment Program Guide
Accredited facilities also undergo a re-assessment every 4 years.
Sleep Medicine Diagnostic Fees
As of April 1, 2019, the annual fee cycle for accredited facilities has changed to a fiscal billing cycle (April 1 – March 31). Assessment fees will be invoiced in the same quarter your facility was assessed. Questions about your fees? Contact us at email@example.com.
General Fees (for facilities registering for the first time)
|Registration fee||$300.00 +GST|
- Facilities that close between April 1 and June 30 are refunded 65% of the total fee.
- Facilities that open between January 1 and March 31 of are invoiced 35% of the total fee.
|Level I Facility||$1900.00 +GST|
|Level II Facility||$1380.00 +GST|
|Level III Facility||$1380.00 +GST|
|Level I & II Facility combined||$2375.00 +GST|
|Level I & III Facility combined||$2375.00 +GST|
|Level II & III Facility combined||$1855.00 +GST|
|Level I, II& III Facility combined||$2850.00 +GST|
Assessment Fees (as required)
|Level I Facility||$2755.00 +GST|
|Level II Facility||$2002.00 +GST|
|Level III Facility||$2002.00 +GST|
|Level I & II Facility combined||$3444.00 +GST|
|Level I & III Facility combined||$3444.00 +GST|
|Level II & III Facility combined||$2690.00 +GST|
|Level I, II& III Facility combined||$4133.00 +GST|
Added Service Fees
• Fee for rescheduling an assessment is $500 + GST
• Fee for post renovations/facility moves is $670 + GST
• Late payment penalty is $250 +GST
• Additional fees may apply if extra assessors are required due to the facility size or scope, or if out-of-province assessors are required.
About accreditation standards
CPSA accreditation standards are based on input from field experts, best practice and research by other regulators, standard-setting bodies and industry associations. Access the standards by registering your facility for assessment.
Submit a request to revise a standard
Do you have a suggestion to improve patient safety and quality of care in Alberta sleep medicine facilities? Complete and submit a Standards Revision Request Form.
Make sure to:
- identify the specific standard or section (if multiple standards) related to your suggestion
- attach or link to verifiable references
- include your contact information so we can follow up with you
Direct SMD services or interpret sleep study results
To direct SMD services or interpret sleep study results, you need College approval. Before applying, please review the physician qualifications.
Become an Assessment Coordinator
We’re always looking for sleep medicine experts to help ensure patient safety province-wide. Use your knowledge to earn continuing competence credits and compensation.
Update facility information
Are you planning to…
- move or change the name of your facility?
- offer new tests or procedures?
- hire a new Medical Director?
- change the contact information for your facility?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to notify us. Download and review the Program Guide for Managing changes to your Facility and update your facility information.
Yes, but if the physicians provides these services for Alberta patients more than 5 times a year, he or she needs to be registered with the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Alberta and comply with the Telemedicine standard of practice. The physician would also have to meet the Alberta requirements for interpreting Sleep Medicine Diagnostic studies.