Non-Hospital Surgical Facility
Good Medical Practice – It’s What We’re All About
ABOUT THIS PROGRAM
Under the Health Professions Act, the College is responsible for ensuring patient safety and quality care in Alberta’s Non-Hospital Surgical Facilities (NHSFs) by setting standards for all aspects of quality and operations.
We conduct on-site assessments when facilities open and reassess on a four-year cycle. We also reassess if a facility adds a new service, renovates, moves or a concern is brought forward.
Register a new facility
All new NHSFs must be accredited by the College.
Download and fill out the New Facility Application form for a Non-Hospital Surgical Facility to begin the accreditation process.
Non-Hospital Surgical Facility Fees
As of April 1, 2019, the annual fee cycle for accredited facilities has changed to a fiscal billing cycle (April 1 – March 31). Assessment fees will be invoiced in the same quarter your facility was assessed. Questions about your fees? Contact us at email@example.com.
General Fees (for facilities registering for the first time)
|Registration fee||$300.00 +GST|
- Facilities that close between April 1 and June 30 are refunded 65% of the total fee.
- Facilities that open between January 1 and March 31 of are invoiced 35% of the total fee.
|Dental facility – anesthesia||$3599.00 +GST|
|Surgical day stay – local anesthesia||$4723.00 +GST|
|Surgical day stay – general anesthesia/IV/regional blocks||$8096.00 +GST|
|Extended-stay facility||$24740.00 +GST|
Assessment Fees (as required)
|Dental facility – anesthesia||$2819.00 +GST|
|Surgical day stay – local anesthesia||$3960.00 +GST|
|Surgical day stay – general anesthesia/IV/regional blocks||$4950.00 +GST|
|Extended-stay facility||$11190.00 +GST|
Post Renovation/Move Fees (as required)
|Dental facility – anesthesia||$1410.00 +GST|
|Surgical day stay – local anesthesia||$1980.00 +GST|
|Surgical day stay – general anesthesia/IV/regional blocks||$2360.00 +GST|
|Extended-stay facility||$5590.00 +GST|
Added Service Fees
• Fees for Added Services are based on cost recovery (i.e. time spent on review, travel, etc.) + a 6% administration fee +GST
• Fee for rescheduling an assessment is $500 +GST• Late payment penalty is $250 +GST• Additional fees may apply if extra assessors are required due to the facility size or scope, or if out-of-province assessors are required.
NHSF accreditation standards
These standards apply to any non-hospital surgical facility accredited by the College:
In addition, specific medical procedures performed in NHSFs have their own standards. Click to review the standards for:
RESOURCES FOR EXISTING FACILITIES
Update facility information
Are you planning to…
- move or change the name of your facility?
- offer new tests or procedures?
- hire a new Medical Director?
- change the contact information for your facility?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, you need to notify us. Update your facility information
Want to add a new service?
If you would like to offer a new service or procedure at your NHSF, fill out and submit an Added Service Application. Fees for Added Services are based on cost recovery (i.e. time spent on review, travel, etc.) plus a 6% administration fee plus GST. CPSA will also have to assess the new service and validate any new/additional equipment you acquire to offer the service.
If you are a registered physician and would like to practise at an NHSF, fill out and submit an application for privileges.
Find out which procedures are approved to be performed in an NHSF.
Need to report an incident at a non-hospital surgical facility?
Complete and submit an Investigation Outline for a Reportable Incident form.
Working with anesthetic gas?
- Follow the procedure on how to confirm the integrity of anesthetic gas delivery and vacuum systems.
- Make sure you keep accurate records with our log/tracking sheet.
Healthcare professionals that perform Autologous Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy in unaccredited settings should following this guideline.
Do you have questions about PRP therapy? Contact us